After they left I decided to wait outside for a bit to make sure they got out the gate okay. I was standing quietly beside the picnic table and not moving much I guess. I heard some strange noises coming from in front of me. I must have moved slightly, because I suddenly heard the sound of a frightened animal scratching its claws on the cement under the picnic table as I startled it. Terrified, I backed away from the picninc table and waited to see what would emerge -- and in which direction (hopefully away from me and hopefully away from Hannah sleeping in the tent on the other side of the table). Then I saw it, wandering into the forest to the next site -- a smallish black creature with a white stripe down its back. I had been a foot or so away from a skunk, startled it and managed to not get sprayed!! I was so scared my legs were almost too weak to carry me back into the tent. Then I spent most of the rest of the night imagining what every other sound in the forest could be. Needless to say I was pretty tired the next day.
It was a good time camping though and we were so proud of Hannah, sleeping in her own tent, in her new sleeping bag with no complaints (although, she was really trying to help Kiera get to sleep in some very unhelpful ways!) She loved camping so much, we know we have to take her again soon. Next time it will be a father-daughter trip though and Mommy will stay home with those under 2!!

2 comments:
looks like a blast! I do wish i was brave enough to take the kids camping... maybe next year! I love that pic. of Kiera covered in sandy muck how fun!!! maybe not for you when its bath time though.
aw...so fun!
I'm glad you were able to work out the crying episode.
Post a Comment